Little Rock school struggle continues in two courts | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Little Rock school struggle continues in two courts

Posted By on Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 11:27 AM

The Arkansas Supreme Court heard oral arguments this morning on whether a state court lawsuit to overturn the state takeover of the Little Rock School District was barred by the state's immunity to lawsuit.

Willard Proctor, an attorney, challenging the takeover argued that the takeover statute was unconstitutional, an argument the plaintiffs had not made in the original filing in Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen's court. Griffen on his own had asked for briefs on that point, but the state filed an intermediate appeal to the Arkansas Supreme Court to have the case dismissed. Attorney Marion Humphrey argued that the "arbitrary and capricious" takeover made the case an exception to sovereign immunity.

Here's a link to a recording of the arguments. Justices had several questions and evinced some interest in the question of whether a state school takeover anywhere is without judicial remedy. But at least one justice, Rhonda Wood, asked questions indicating that plaintiffs may have moved to quickly without raising the constitutional challenge of the statute. Wood also said plaintiffs' objection to process were on points — such as response time — not covered in state law. She said the court didn't like to wade into legislative matters.

Proctor argued that the state had failed in several ways to comply with statutes on school takeover.

Meanwhile, the state Education Department has responded to a separate lawsuit filed in federal court yesterday seeking to reverse the takeover. It raises race discrimination arguments in the action by the state and others.

State Education Commissioner Johnny Key, one of the defendants in the new federal suit, issued this prepared statement this morning on the new suit:

"Our legal team will review the filing with the Arkansas Attorney General's Office, so it is premature at this time to comment on the veracity of the claims made by Rep. Walker, Mr. Ross, Ms. Springer and the other plaintiffs.

This we do know: Student learning occurs in the classroom, not the courtroom. To that end, this agency will remain focused on supporting Baker Kurrus and his team in improving the delivery of education to all the students of the Little Rock School District. The presentation by Mr. Burton to the State Board of Education today clearly demonstrates the urgency of this task."

Tags: , , , , ,


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • We have met the enemy: The open line

    The open line with a dose of Trump and other unhappy news.
    • Jul 15, 2018
  • Welcome to the United States, children

    Recommended reading: The New York Times' report on the conditions for the hundreds of children being held in detention since they arrived at U.S. borders seeking asylum. There are many rules and they included no touching of other children, not even a hug for a little brother or sister.
    • Jul 15, 2018
  • Bills arrive for petition campaigns, including term limits

    Filings are expected next week on the campaigns to put a minimum wage increase and casino gambling expansion on the November ballot. One other campaign reported financial information last week
    • Jul 15, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Former Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel applauds Trump's EPA choice of climate change denier Scott Pruitt

    Dustin McDaniel gives the thumbs up to a man set to dismantle EPA regulations.
    • Dec 8, 2016
  • Arkansas legislature rejects bipartisan effort to study race relations

    On Friday, the Arkansas Legislative Council soundly rejected a bipartisan effort by two senators to to create a temporary legislative subcommittee to study race relations in the state.
    • Sep 15, 2017
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation