Doctor pleads guilty to $2.2 million health fraud scheme | Arkansas Blog

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Doctor pleads guilty to $2.2 million health fraud scheme

Posted By on Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 2:56 PM

The U.S. attorney's office has announced that Dr. Robert Barrow of Little Rock has pleaded guilty to a $2.2 million health care fraud scheme.

Barrow, 62, owned a clinic known as Your Doctor's Office. According to a Justice Department news release, Barrow conspired with Billy Marc Young, a massage therapist. Barrow referred patients to Young, who billed insurers under Barrow's provider number as if patients hadreceived physical therapy. The release said Barrow himself was often out the country at the time, in places like Las Vegas, Hawaii and London. Young had entered a guilty plea earlier. The government said some of of Barrow's patients were duped into believing they'd received physical therapy and also bore out-of-pocket costs such as co-pays.

The news release said:

Under the terms of the plea agreement, Dr. Barrow is required to pay $702,361.12 in restitution to Medicare and Blue Cross (less what Young pays) and up to $100,000 to former patients who bore out-of-pocket expenses believing that they were receiving physical therapy. In exchange, the United States has agreed to dismiss all remaining charges against Dr. Barrow and his wife, Dr. Angela Barrow.

Conspiracy to commit health care fraud is punishable by up to ten years’ imprisonment, a $250,000 fine, and not more than three years’ supervised

Sentencing will follow a probation office report..


Tags: , ,


Favorite

Comments (5)

Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • One dead, two wounded in early morning shooting

    KARK's Susanne Brunner reports that one person has been killed and two wounded in a shooting shortly after 1 a.m. this morning near Roosevelt Road and Cross Street.
    • Apr 17, 2019
  • Reality bites at Little Rock City Hall; spending must be cut

    A followup to Rebekah Hall's earlier report on Little Rock Mayor Frank Scott Jr.'s announcement that cuts will be necessary in the city budget in part to pay for "priorities," such as his desire to expand the police force, but also to deal with the reality often mentioned here of stagnant to decling city sales tax revenue. Some quick ideas on that:
    • Apr 17, 2019
  • Speaking of hard times in newspapers: Democrat-Gazette's move to digital

    Word continues to filter in of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's pullback from statewide circulation of a print daily edition of the newspaper — the latest from the Hot Springs area, just 50 or so miles down the road from Little Rock. Subscribers there were told home delivery of a print paper would end in May.
    • Apr 16, 2019
  • More »

Readers also liked…

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Open line

    • So, I'm wondering.... since there have been no blog posts so far today, maybe we'll…

    • on April 21, 2019
  • Re: Open line

    • Eye for eye, tooth for tooth. "Mary Elizabeth Moore, 34, was charged with child neglect…

    • on April 21, 2019
  • Re: Open line

    • Silver seems to have understood my intent, which was not to use trump as a…

    • on April 21, 2019
 

© 2019 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation