Thursday, October 15, 2015

Highway widening prediction: $4 billion will be needed in future

Posted By on Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 5:23 PM

click to enlarge Jerry Holder, CAP manager and director of Garver Engineers.
  • Jerry Holder, CAP manager and director of Garver Engineers.
The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department's Connecting Arkansas Program manager Jerry Holder, who is director of Garver Engineers, reviewed the work done so far on the highway department's $500 million plan to widen Interstate 30 to 10 lanes for Metroplan's Regional Planning Advisory Council today, and this is what the council heard from Metroplan:

Their analysis shows that to prevent bottlenecks caused by the flow of cars through the expanded I-30 on other portions of interstates in Central Arkansas, those freeways will have to be widened to eight lanes, at a cost of $4 billion

Casey Covington of Metroplan stood to relay that fact after Coreen Frasier, a member of the regional council, asked Holder, "Aren't we just moving bottlenecks to other places" by widening six to seven miles of Interstate 30? "It doesn't seem sensible to do a 10-lane smooth out" and ignore the effect increased traffic would have further down the road, she said. 

Holder said bottlenecks would be caused "maybe, if you only did [the I-30 widening]." But, he added, "we have 20 years to work with Jim [McKenzie of Metroplan]" to make such improvements as HOT (High Occupancy Toll) lanes to Conway (for example) and other improvements, he said. "Somewhere along the way, innovative improvements may have to happen."

(He actually doesn't have 20 years to work with McKenzie; the Metroplan executive director will retire next year.)

Council member Carolyn Shearman asked about the recent revelation that the new Cantrell-I-30 interchange would require the River Rail trolley to stop on the west side of the I-30, rather than continue, as it does today, to Heifer International and the Clinton Center. Holder acknowledged that the "single point urban interchange" plan would indeed cut off access to River Rail lines east of the interstate, and that Jarod Varner, director of the Rock Region Metro (formerly CATA), had asked the CAP project to consider an option that would reroute the rails east of 30.

Kathleen Lambert, noting that the AHTD "speed profiles" show traffic flowing unimpeded in 2041 on the 10-lane section, wondered if the interstate would be empty for many years after the scheduled 2020 completion date. An engineer with consultants CH2M said the I-30 bridge needed to be built to last 50 years, hence the build-out to 2041, and yes, there would be years when traffic was light.

She also asked if engineers had taken into account new technologies that might reduce vehicular traffic and the need for 10 lanes. Holder said she raised a good point about technology, and said it was possible that a lane could be dedicated for driverless cars — which is not the same thing as saying perhaps 10 lanes aren't needed.

Patrick Stair of the Sierra Club asked if the AHTD couldn't focus on improving arterials first, which could preclude the need for widening the interstate. Holder, perhaps misunderstanding Stair's question, interpreted him to be saying that he wanted to keep people from stopping in Little Rock. He said that without a wider interstate, Little Rock would die. "A robust arterial is good, but you've got to get  the backbone in first," he told Stair. 

Holder said that while the CAP's Planning and Environmental Linkage process recommended the 10 lanes, "speed profiles" also would be run on an 8-lane option. 

Tags: , , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Speaking of...

Comments (14)

Showing 1-14 of 14

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-14 of 14

Add a comment

More by Leslie Newell Peacock

  • Four years after installation, solar panels are connected to VA

    In August 2013, the company installing solar panels at the John L. McClellan Memorial Veterans Hospital in Little Rock predicted power would be turned on within the month.
    • Apr 25, 2017
  • GLO suspends flights; files for bankruptcy: UPDATE

    Little Rock is losing its GLO Airlines flights to New Orleans, and to Destin scheduled to resume in May, as the startup company has filed for bankruptcy, Arkansas Business reports today.
    • Apr 25, 2017
  • Sculpture chosen for Southwest Community Center

    Stephen Shachtman's proposed sculpture "A," a 16-foot-high steel and bronze work, won the $60,000 commission awarded at the weekend's Sculpture in the River Market event. (See full news release on jump.) Best in Show went to Ted Schaal for his work "Shard."
    • Apr 24, 2017
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • State Police issues statement on Jason Rapert 'threats'

    The State Police have issued a minor clarification in what appears to be an effort to soothe an enraged Sen. Jason Rapert, exposed here as overly excited about both a Conway parking lot question from a constituent as well as some inflammatory Internet rhetoric that he's interpreted as a dire threat on his life. State cops took his reports seriously, they say. But in the end, they found nothing actionable.
    • Sep 15, 2015
  • Transgender electrician may sue employer over her firing

    Federal Judge Susan Webber Wright has ruled that Patricia Dawson, a transgender woman, may pursue her lawsuit that she was wrongfully fired by her employer, H & H Electric, because of her sex.
    • Sep 16, 2015
  • From Dallas, creative thinking about the Interstate 30 project

    An urban planner in Dallas says freeways are not always the answer. Incorporating some creativity already being used in Dallas and looking at the Interstate 30 project from a broader perspective, here are ideas that Arkansas highway planners have not considered. But should.
    • Nov 6, 2015

Most Shared

Visit Arkansas

Haralson, Smith named to Arkansas Tourism Hall of Fame

Haralson, Smith named to Arkansas Tourism Hall of Fame

Chuck Haralson and Ken Smith were inducted into the Arkansas Tourism Hall of Fame during the 43rd annual Governor’s Conference on Tourism

Most Viewed

  • Family of girl who fell from Harrison church bus issues statement, says investigation ongoing

    The family of a 4-year-old girl from Harrison who fell from a moving church bus on April 19 issued a statement through their attorney yesterday, asking for privacy as the investigation into the incident continues. The family said the girl is still receiving medical care related to the incident — caught on a paramedic's dashboard camera — in which she opened the back door of a moving church bus and was flung to the pavement, with the bus driving away.

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Lee's lawyer writes about executed man's last hours

    • Here in the UK we have no death penalty and we are a more civilised…

    • on April 26, 2017
  • Re: Tuesday line

    • Trumps tax reduction plan totally benefits the trump and kushiners real estate With a 24.9%…

    • on April 25, 2017
  • Re: Huckabee seeks laughter

    • I like that phrase "snake oil salesperson". I wish the media would stop referring to…

    • on April 25, 2017

Blogroll

Slideshows

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation