Maggio case postponed again; a tip on new action? | Arkansas Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Maggio case postponed again; a tip on new action?

Posted By on Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 7:20 AM

click to enlarge ANOTHER DELAY: In sentencing of Mike Maggio.
  • ANOTHER DELAY: In sentencing of Mike Maggio.
Noted: Sentencing of former Judge Mike Maggio, who's pleaded guilty to bribery, has been delayed again — until 10:30 a.m. Feb. 26 in federal Judge Brian Miller's court. That's more than 13 months after his initial plea in the case.

The hearing was rescheduled last Thursday. It had been set for Nov. 20.

The brief order makes no mention of a reason for another delay. Past speculation has been that sentencing has been delayed while prosecutors work with Maggio on information that could expand the case against others.

Maggio has said he accepted campaign contributions in return for lowering a jury verdict in a nursing home negligence case. No one else has been indicted and the charge against him identified no other participants by name. But the record indicates that Fort Smith nursing home owner Michael Morton gave campaign money to Maggio on the encouragement of former Republican Sen. Gilbert Baker. Maggio reduced a $5.2 million verdict against a Morton nursing home to $1 million. Both Baker and Morton have said they did nothing wrong and reportedly have talked to federal investigators themselves.

I checked the Maggio record because of renewed rumbling that the investigation of this case has led to the review of other political activities involving lobbyists and Arkansas political candidates. Does a delay of his hearing mean something else is in the wind? Time will tell.

Tags: , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (6)

Showing 1-6 of 6

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-6 of 6

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • IHOP coming down, but .....

    I always scan the Little Rock City Board for items of interest this week and this one caught my eye: A zoning measure required by a proposal to tear down the IHOP at Markham and University.
    • Apr 30, 2016
  • LR speakers blast state board for double standard

    A series of speakers, beginning with Sen. Joyce Elliott, denounced what they saw as a hidden agenda favoring charter schools at the state Department of Education and asked the state Board of Education for return of local control.
    • May 12, 2016
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Sunday open line

    • There is very little truth in the official narrative being told by the US government…

    • on December 18, 2017
  • Re: Sunday open line

    • The truth is out there.There is very little truth in the official narrative being told…

    • on December 18, 2017
  • Re: Sunday open line

    • There is very little truth in the official narrative told related to the events surrounding…

    • on December 18, 2017

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation