City goes with United Healthcare | Arkansas Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

City goes with United Healthcare

Posted By on Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Representatives of city uniformed and non-uniformed employees were emphatic before the City Board tonight that the city should abandon the health plan offered by the Arkansas Municipal League and go with United Healthcare, and that is exactly what the board voted to do. A consultant to the city had recommended the city drop the Municipal League.

James Nickels, director of the local American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees union, said the United plan was "too damned expensive for most of our members, but it’s a better plan" offering at least "some protections for consumers."

Last year, the Little Rock Fraternal Order of Police called for Mayor Mark Stodola's resignation as president of the Arkansas Municipal League after the city switched from QualChoice to the AML plan. Tonight, John Gilchrist, representing the FOP, said that retired city employees who've left the state have to return to Arkansas to treat major illnesses because of the Municipal League's insufficient coverage for out-of-state care. (In state, over $20,000, coverage is 100 percent; out of state, it's 80 percent for all care, Municipal League Director Don Zimmerman told the board tonight.)

Firefighters union head Richard Moorehead said a 27-year-old firefighter who had cancer was denied a hysterectomy by the AML plan, characterizing it as elective, and said members have had to fight to have their claims paid. Another woman whose firefighter father had to be treated at MD Anderson in Houston for his cancer said the AML denied their attempts to get his medication paid for for four months and denied their request to bring him home by Medflight, though he had "massive blod clots" in his lung and legs. His job was to save people, she said, but there was no one to help him.

The insurance was on the consent agenda originally, but was voted on separately at the request of City Director Kathy Webb.

The board will now proceed to the Clinton Presidential Center, where it will hear from state Highway and Transportation Department director Scott Bennett and Connecting Arkansas Program head Jerry Holder why the state should spend half a billion dollars (at the least) widening I-30 to 10 lanes in downtown Little Rock, cutting off the River Rail trolley line and access from west to east under I-30 on Second and Fourth streets, et cetera. That starts at 7 p.m. 

Tags: , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by Leslie Newell Peacock

  • No Red Cross number on the wall? For shame, Planned Parenthood

    It would be interesting to know why Arkansas Department of Health inspectors have, for the first time, been concerned whether there is a Red Cross phone number posted in clinics that provide abortion services.
    • Dec 14, 2017
  • No more net neutrality: FCC votes along party lines in favor of telecom companies

    As expected, the FCC today voted along party lines 3-2 to dump net neutrality and allow broadband providers to block or slow upload of websites and charge for certain content and high-quality delivery.
    • Dec 14, 2017
  • Tech Park 2.0: Architects present for next phase

    The three finalists in the Little Rock Technology Park's search for an architect to design the next phase of park development — a six-story, 100,000-square-foot building on the empty lot between the park, at 417 Main St., and the KATV, Channel 7, building at 401 Main — presented to the board this afternoon.
    • Dec 13, 2017
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • LR speakers blast state board for double standard

    A series of speakers, beginning with Sen. Joyce Elliott, denounced what they saw as a hidden agenda favoring charter schools at the state Department of Education and asked the state Board of Education for return of local control.
    • May 12, 2016
  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • Saturday's open line

    Got any thoughts? Put them here.
    • May 21, 2016

Most Shared

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Sunday open line

    • There is very little truth in the official narrative being told by the US government…

    • on December 18, 2017
  • Re: Sunday open line

    • The truth is out there.There is very little truth in the official narrative being told…

    • on December 18, 2017
  • Re: Sunday open line

    • There is very little truth in the official narrative told related to the events surrounding…

    • on December 18, 2017

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation