Greenbrier teen says he was turned away from enlisting in Marines because of Confederate flag tattoo | Arkansas Blog

Monday, January 25, 2016

Greenbrier teen says he was turned away from enlisting in Marines because of Confederate flag tattoo

Posted By on Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM

click to enlarge TATTOO TROUBLE: United States Marine Corps allegedly passes on recruit with tattoo depicting treason against the United States of America. - KARK
  • KARK
  • TATTOO TROUBLE: United States Marine Corps allegedly passes on recruit with tattoo depicting treason against the United States of America.


KARK reported last week on 18-year-old Anthony Bauswell, who said that he tried to join the U.S. Marines at a recruiting center in Conway, only to be told that a Confederate flag tattoo on his ribs "automatically DQs" Bauswell from enlisting. 

Marine Corps policy bans tattoos that are "sexist...racist, eccentric or offensive in nature." Bauswell said that his tattoo was not racist. "It clearly states 'Southern Pride,'" Bauswell told KARK. "I definitely don't want it to be seen as racism, which is 99% of the reason I got southern pride on it."

Marine Corps tattoo policy has been a subject of hot debate this year. 



Tags: , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (16)

Showing 1-16 of 16

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-16 of 16

Add a comment

More by David Ramsey

Readers also liked…

  • IHOP coming down, but .....

    I always scan the Little Rock City Board for items of interest this week and this one caught my eye: A zoning measure required by a proposal to tear down the IHOP at Markham and University.
    • Apr 30, 2016
  • LR speakers blast state board for double standard

    A series of speakers, beginning with Sen. Joyce Elliott, denounced what they saw as a hidden agenda favoring charter schools at the state Department of Education and asked the state Board of Education for return of local control.
    • May 12, 2016
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation