Governor defends state party's decision to strike pre-k from platform | Arkansas Blog

Monday, August 8, 2016

Governor defends state party's decision to strike pre-k from platform

Posted By on Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 6:07 PM

click to enlarge HUTCHINSON: Paragraph supporting funding for pre-k was "confusing."
  • HUTCHINSON: Paragraph supporting funding for pre-k was "confusing."
Gov. Asa Hutchinson said during his campaign for governor that "we need to expand pre-k" and said the state should aim for a gradual increase of pre-k funding.

His party, however, struck all mention of support for pre-k access from the party platform over the weekend. The move was reportedly made because Republican delegates expressed fear of the possibility of mandatory pre-k, like mandatory kindergarten. 

I asked the governor for his response to the party's decision to strike all support for pre-k from the platform and he provided the following statement: 

Last Saturday, delegates of the state party voted to remove a provision in the platform which was confusing and unclear on its intent on pre-K funding. This action does not affect the historical bi-partisan support of Pre-K funding.

Prior to last year, Pre-K funding in the state had not seen an increase in funding since the program’s inception in 2003. My first year in office, we appropriated $3M in new funds for Pre-K and additional funding was secured from federal sources. Arkansas currently ranks 12th in the nation in terms of percent of 4 year old children in state funded pre-k.

As governor, I will work with the legislature to determine what additional funding should go to Pre-k, and my priority is targeting resources to those families at or below 200% of the poverty level.

A little bit of context on that $3 million. While an important first step, as Arkansas Advocates put it, that one-time money "falls far short of the $16 million increase in annual state funding that ABC needs to make the program whole again after going without a dime of new money for eight years." 

House Minority Leader Michael John Gray tried to increase annual pre-k funding by $10 million during the 2016 fiscal session only to be rebuffed by the Hutchinson administration and Republicans in the legislature. 

"I am hopeful that as the governor continues to look at the data, he'll see that this is about the future of Arkansas, and that we make a long-term commitment to the future of the children and not just one-time money," Gray said. "I'm encouraged by conversations I've had with him. However, we went down to the last day of the fiscal session trying for any kind of pre-k increase in conversations with the governor's office and none of it materialized." 

Gray expressed skepticism about Hutchinson's defense of the removal of the pre-k provision in the party platform. "With all due respect to the governor, if it was confusing, why wasn't there an effort to clear up the confusion?" he asked. "Why would they pull all support for pre-k from the platform? That's a statement of values by the Republican party."

Tags: ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (22)

Showing 1-22 of 22

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-22 of 22

Add a comment

More by David Ramsey

  • Abuse again at Arkansas juvenile lockup

    A guard was fired after choking a child at the Alexander Juvenile Assessment and Treatment Center. It’s the latest in a long history of mistreatment at the facility.
    • May 26, 2017
  • Health care policy FAQ

    What proposed state and federal changes mean for the future of health care policy in Arkansas.
    • May 25, 2017
  • The health of a hospital

    The Medicaid expansion helped Baxter County Regional Medical Center survive and thrive, but a federal repeal bill threatens to imperil it and its patients.
    • May 25, 2017
  • More »

Readers also liked…

Most Shared

  • So much for a school settlement in Pulaski County

    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's Cynthia Howell got the scoop on what appears to be coming upheaval in the Pulaski County School District along with the likely end of any chance of a speedy resolution of school desegregation issues in Pulaski County.
  • Riverfest calls it quits

    The board of directors of Riverfest, Arkansas's largest and longest running music festival, announced today that the festival will no longer be held. Riverfest celebrated its 40th anniversary in June. A press release blamed competition from other festivals and the rising cost of performers fees for the decision.
  • Football for UA Little Rock

    Andrew Rogerson, the new chancellor at UA Little Rock, has decided to study the cost of starting a major college football team on campus (plus a marching band). Technically, it would be a revival of football, dropped more than 60 years ago when the school was a junior college.
  • Turn to baseball

    When the world threatens to get you down, there is always baseball — an absorbing refuge, an alternate reality entirely unto itself.

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Thursday open line and today's news

    • When Drumpf goes low, Fox "news" goes...Clinton! "As a cloud of negative news hangs over…

    • on July 20, 2017
  • Re: Thursday open line and today's news

    • Call 'em what you like, Razorbabies. I call 'em vicious, relentless religionists. "A Republican lawmaker…

    • on July 20, 2017
  • Re: Thursday open line and today's news

    • They are running scared now-- "President Trump's lawyers are looking into the president's authority to…

    • on July 20, 2017

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation