NOT GUILTY: Jury acquits Naramore in son's death | Arkansas Blog

Friday, August 19, 2016

NOT GUILTY: Jury acquits Naramore in son's death

Posted By on Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 6:54 PM

click to enlarge THE NARAMORES: In court earlier this week. - KARK
  • KARK
  • THE NARAMORES: In court earlier this week.
Family members and co-workers have testified this morning about the good qualities of Judge Wade Naramore and his devastation at the death of his son Thomas in a hot car last July after the judge forgot he was in the backseat on a drive to work.

The witnesses included another, his sister-in-law, recounting having briefly forgotten a child in a backseat. She remembered when she reached for a bag she'd put in the backseat.

Still no word if Naramore himself will testify, but the defense is nearing the end of its witness list.

Naramore faces a misdemeanor negligent homicide charge in the death of his son, who was a week short of 18 months old.  His father normally took him to daycare, but something caused him to forget that errand on the way to work with his son in the backseat. He discovered his error after a midday trip on errands and home while returning to his office.

At the lunch break, defense said two witnesses remained. Didn't say who.

UPDATE: Naramore is testifying. He was on the stand more than an hour. He said he cooperated with prosecutors from the beginning and said he was always willing to talk with investigators. He said he testified so that he could tell people what happened and so prosecutors could ask questions.

Marielle Mohs of KTHV Tweeted this about Naramore's beginning:
Judge Wade Naramore took the stand. Holding a picture of Thomas he cried out "THIS IS THOMAS! THIS IS MY BABY! MY BABY BOY!"
The defense rested after Naramore's testimony. 

Judge John Langston has rejected a defense motion for a directed verdict of acquittal because the case required "blameworthy" conduct. The prosecution counters that the death of the child proves carelessness. A discussion of jury instructions followed.

The closing arguments began about 4 p.m., with 45 minutes total for both sides.

Update:  The jury moved quickly, split at 10-2 after about an hour. Urged to deliberate more, the jury returned to report a 11-1 split with a firm holdout. At that point, the defense asked for a mistrial. The judge gave them a charge to try to decide the case and sent them back to talk more.

UPDATE: KARK reports a not guilty verdict about 7:20 p.m.

Tags: , , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (30)

Showing 1-30 of 30

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-30 of 30

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Charter secret

    These are hard times for those who believe in traditional public schools, run by democratically elected representatives, open to all on equal terms.
    • Aug 17, 2017
  • Police announced beefed-up patrols

    Little Rock police are stepping up patrols on account of rising violent crime. Meh.
    • Aug 16, 2017
  • Free streetcar service extended through December

    Rock Region Metro says it will extend free service on the River Rail streetcar lines through December
    • Aug 16, 2017
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Jason Rapert vs. Wikipedia

    Sen. Jason Rapert against the world: Wikipedia edition.
    • Jan 23, 2016
  • City Board votes to table homeless feeding ordinance for 8 weeks, study with commission

    The Little Rock Board of Directors voted tonight to table for eight weeks an ordinance that homeless advocates say would severely limit the ability of charities to feed homeless people in city parks. Before the ordinance was punted, Vice Mayor Kathy Webb proposed a nine-member commission to study the issue and make recommendations to the board.
    • May 16, 2017
  • IHOP coming down, but .....

    I always scan the Little Rock City Board for items of interest this week and this one caught my eye: A zoning measure required by a proposal to tear down the IHOP at Markham and University.
    • Apr 30, 2016

Most Viewed

  • Arkansas-linked Charlottesville marcher identified, apologizes to those misidentified

    A man who says he's a former University of Arkansas student now living in New England has identified himself as the person wearing an "Arkansas Engineering" T-shirt in the Friday white supremacist march in Fayetteville. He apologized for involving UA in the story and to the professor misidentified as being the person wearing the shirt.

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation