Judicial commission ends investigation of Wade Naramore | Arkansas Blog

Friday, March 3, 2017

Judicial commission ends investigation of Wade Naramore

Posted By on Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM

JUDGE WADE NARAMORE His discipline case is at an end.
  • JUDGE WADE NARAMORE His discipline case is at an end.
The state Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission today announced it had dismissed a pending investigation of Circuit Judge Wade Naramore of Hot Springs that began after he was charged with negligent homicide in the hot car death of his son Thomas.

Naramore was acquitted in the case, but the investigation remained open for undisclosed reasons believed to be connected to a confidential proceeding pertaining to the question of whether Naramore should be on the state child maltreatment registry. His presence on that list — to which people are added for negligent actions — isn't specifically contemplated in the judicial code of conduct. But it might have been a consideration for a disciplinary panel considering fitness of a person to be a juvenile judge, which Naramore is.

The Arkansas Supreme Court cut the legs out from under the investigation when it ruled Feb. 23 that a suspension of Naramore should end and that he could go back to work, but no longer hear child abuse and neglect cases. It was anunsual ruling because the court knew the investigation was continuing. The Judicial Commission is nominally independent. Its findings can be appealed to the Supreme Court. Here, the Supreme Court effectively decided the case without hearing evidence, though it had been provided information sufficient to understand what had prompted the delay.

In a lengthy letter explaining the dismissal, an unspecific reference was made by Commission director David Sachar to the maltreatment registry issue.

Because there is no criminal conviction against you and because there was no precedent related to any ancillary issues demonstrating a violation of rule 1.1 or 1.2, the panel voted to dismiss all discipline related allegations against you.
The letter included a detailed timeline of the case to explain the length of the proceeding. Naramore was suspended in 2015 with pay and other judges, including retired judges paid for the work, have handled his caseload. The investigation began in July 2015 and he was acquitted last August, but the confidential matter has continued. KARK and other sources indicate Naramore had appealed an administrative finding that placed him on the maltreatment list to circuit court. The status of that proceeding is confidential. Such cases become public only if a person appeals an affirmation of an adverse finding to the state Court of Appeals.


The letter notes that Naramore had been cooperative throughout and a psychological examination had concluded he was mentally fit to resume work. It said he had taken steps to cope with the trauma from the July 24 death of his child. He forgot the child was in a backseat car seat when he drove to work and only discovered his error on a return to his office from lunch on a very hot July day. The jury in his case heard his anguished cries to police who responded to an emergency call after the discovery.

The letter said the commission had concluded it could not retry criminal cases; that there was no evidence he'd be impaired in serving as a judge, and that the Supreme Court had reinstated him. "Although the JDDC was still considering a novel issue that remained unresolved, the Court granted your relief."


Tags: , , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Ex-Hog Darrell Walker spotlighted for collection of work by black artists

    Former Razorback basketball player Darrell Walker and his art collection get a mention in today's New York Times in an article about the rising profiles and prices of black artists.
    • Nov 29, 2015
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016
  • Federal judge wants John Goodson to explain class action maneuvering

    A show-cause order filed Monday by federal Judge P.K. Holmes of Fort Smith indicates class action attorney John Goodson has some explaining to do about the move of a class action complaint against an insurance company from federal to state court with an instant pre-packaged settlement that has been criticized as a windfall for Goodson.
    • Dec 22, 2015

Most Shared

  • So much for a school settlement in Pulaski County

    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's Cynthia Howell got the scoop on what appears to be coming upheaval in the Pulaski County School District along with the likely end of any chance of a speedy resolution of school desegregation issues in Pulaski County.
  • Riverfest calls it quits

    The board of directors of Riverfest, Arkansas's largest and longest running music festival, announced today that the festival will no longer be held. Riverfest celebrated its 40th anniversary in June. A press release blamed competition from other festivals and the rising cost of performers fees for the decision.
  • Football for UA Little Rock

    Andrew Rogerson, the new chancellor at UA Little Rock, has decided to study the cost of starting a major college football team on campus (plus a marching band). Technically, it would be a revival of football, dropped more than 60 years ago when the school was a junior college.
  • Turn to baseball

    When the world threatens to get you down, there is always baseball — an absorbing refuge, an alternate reality entirely unto itself.

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation