Police chief responds to black officers' criticism | Arkansas Blog

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Police chief responds to black officers' criticism

Posted By on Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 10:15 AM

CHIEF KENTON BUCKNER: Responds to criticism.
  • CHIEF KENTON BUCKNER: Responds to criticism.
An anonymous correspondent sent me a memo by Little Rock Police Chief Kenton Buckner responding to a letter of criticism from the Little Rock Black Police Officers Association.

The BPOA had complaints about personnel practices, as well as some complaints about specific members of the force. Buckner had earlier declined to discuss the letter with me as concerning personnel issues. Here's what he apparently has now said in response.

Kenton touts training improvements under his leadership and puts some problems down to friction between the BPOA and the Fraternal Order of Police, recognized as the bargaining agent for rank-and-file officers. He said that status "clearly distinguishes the significance of the FOP." But he said he had an open door for the BPOA and noted the FOP had filed grievances against him. He defended his actions generally on policy violations, hiring, transfers and promotions. He said 33 percent of hires, 43 percent of transfers to specialty units and 41 percent of promotions had gone to black officers.

You can read the full response below.

Tags: , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Civil War over in Fort Smith; lawyer strikes his Rebel mascot battle tent

    KSFM reports that Joey McCutchen, the lawyer who's been trying to restart the Civil War in Fort Smith over the School Board's decision to drop the Rebel mascot and related trappingsfor Southside High School, is dropping his School Board takeover campaign.
    • May 27, 2016
  • French Hill votes against disaster aid to Puerto Rico

    Republican U.S. Rep. French Hill alone among Arkansas's House delegation voted last week against a measure that provided $36.5 billion in disaster aid, a portion  for hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico as well as money for wildfire response and to support the flood insurance program.
    • Oct 14, 2017
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation