Former DHS employee gets 9 years for $9 million worth of food fraud | Arkansas Blog

Monday, July 17, 2017

Former DHS employee gets 9 years for $9 million worth of food fraud

Posted By on Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:41 PM

Federal Judge James Moody has sentenced Gladys Waits, 37, to nine years in federal prison for her role in defrauding more than $9 million in federal money sent to Arkansas to feed poor children.

He ordered $9.6 million in restitution, though little of that is likely to be seen.

The Department of Human Services oversees USDA-financed programs to provide meals to poor children after school and during the summer. Waits was the eighth person to be sentenced and a key player. Her sentence matched the longest given so far. Three others have pleaded guilty and await sentencing.

According to a Justice Department news release, Waits worked at DHS and processed applications from potential sponsors of feeding programs. She approved programs for seven of those charged between August 2012 and August 2014. They submitted inflated claims for reimbursement and Waits helped them avoid detection, the release said. She was accused of receiving bribes from the sponsors in checks payable to her and to relatives, including her husband, Anthony,  who allegedly recruited sponsors. They paid a percentage of proceeds back to Anthony Waits, the government said.


Tags: , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (5)

Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016
  • City Board votes to table homeless feeding ordinance for 8 weeks, study with commission

    The Little Rock Board of Directors voted tonight to table for eight weeks an ordinance that homeless advocates say would severely limit the ability of charities to feed homeless people in city parks. Before the ordinance was punted, Vice Mayor Kathy Webb proposed a nine-member commission to study the issue and make recommendations to the board.
    • May 16, 2017
  • Medical marijuana backers: Health Department opposition 'disingenuous' and 'cruel'

    Arkansans for Compassionate Care, the group behind the first medical marijuana initiative to qualify for the ballot, has responded sharply to yesterday's statement by the Arkansas Health Department that it opposes legal medical use of marijuana.
    • Jul 13, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation