Luke Skrable battles on to be heard in Little Rock City Hall | Arkansas Blog

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Luke Skrable battles on to be heard in Little Rock City Hall

Posted By on Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 8:21 AM

LUKE SKRABLE: Shown in one of his earlier efforts to petition City Hall over grievances.
  • LUKE SKRABLE: Shown in one of his earlier efforts to petition City Hall over grievances.
An update on the battle by Luke Skrable, a Southwest Little Rock civic gadfly, to have his voice heard in city government.

To summarize: Skrable has been banned from City Hall for more than three years as a result of a terroristic threatening charge successfully filed against him by City Manager Bruce Moore over an e-mail sent by Skrable after he wasn't allowed to speak at a City Board meeting. A federal judge ruled recently that the city's ban of Skrable from all city property was unconstitutional and instructed it to tailor something narrower to deal with Skrable.

Since then, City Attorney Tom Carpenter has drafted a series of modified bans that allowed Skrable to be on city property, except downtown, and said if he behaved for three more months (through early November), he'd be allowed to enter City Hall. But it says the ban can be extended should Skrable do anything violent or violate city "policy."

Skrable's lawyer has quit his case and the judge dismissed it before Skrable knew this. But he's filed a petition on his own for the judge to consider whether the city is acting unconstitutionally in extending his ban through November.  Her office has accepted the filing as a status report in the case. The city has also informed Magistrate Beth Deere of its evolving probationary proposal for Skrable.

Skrable attended a "Chat With the Chief" session last week in Southwest Little Rock. He stood outside and distributed a handout related to his unhappiness about police response to discharge of firearms in his neighborhood. City Manager Moore was at the meeting.  Said Skrable:

I did not go inside and participate but I greeted citizens and the door and handout my handout in a lawful manner as this was the first day I was allowed back on city owned property without fear of being arrested for trespassing. 
It's past time for the city to man up and let Luke Skrable attend City Board meetings. Perhaps the federal court will support the First Amendment if the city will not.


Tags: , , , , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Kenneth Starr: A comment from Betsey Wright

    Betsey Wright, former President Bill Clinton's chief of staff when he was Arkansas governor, responds bitterly to a New York Times article today quoting Whitewater Prosecutor Kenneth Starr's warm words about Clinton. She can't forget the lives Starr ruined in Arkansas.
    • May 24, 2016
  • Rep. Mary Bentley's website now supports gay rights

    Somebody has cybersquatted on Republican Rep. Mary Bentley's website, replacing her messaging with a call for equal rights for LGBTQ people.
    • Jul 18, 2017
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation