Another plea entered in multi-million-dollar food program fraud | Arkansas Blog

Friday, October 6, 2017

Another plea entered in multi-million-dollar food program fraud

Posted By on Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM

The U.S. attorney announced another guilty plea today in the investigation fraud of a federal program to feed poor children administered by the state Human Services Department.

Elbert Harris, 57, of Pine Bluff, pleaded guilty to wire fraud. A news release said Harris, who'll be sentenced later, stole more than $1 million.

He's the 14th person to plead guilty to charges related to taking more than $10 million dollars in a program to provide after-school and summer meals to low-income neighborhoods. Said the news release:

At Friday’s hearing, Harris admitted that between 2012 and 2015, he was a sponsor for the feeding program through “Greater Faith Ministries,” which had feeding locations in Pine Bluff, Altheimer, and Wabbaseka. Harris operated 14 feeding sites. He falsely claimed that he served up to 175 children at some of his feeding sites, greatly inflating the number of children who were actually served. Harris submitted approximately 44 claims. Because of the inflated claims, Harris received a total of approximately $1,390,961.05 from DHS.

The investigation is ongoing.

Tags: , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Civil War over in Fort Smith; lawyer strikes his Rebel mascot battle tent

    KSFM reports that Joey McCutchen, the lawyer who's been trying to restart the Civil War in Fort Smith over the School Board's decision to drop the Rebel mascot and related trappingsfor Southside High School, is dropping his School Board takeover campaign.
    • May 27, 2016
  • French Hill votes against disaster aid to Puerto Rico

    Republican U.S. Rep. French Hill alone among Arkansas's House delegation voted last week against a measure that provided $36.5 billion in disaster aid, a portion  for hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico as well as money for wildfire response and to support the flood insurance program.
    • Oct 14, 2017
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation