Ten Commandments destroyer found unfit to stand trial, hospitalized | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Ten Commandments destroyer found unfit to stand trial, hospitalized

Posted By on Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:11 AM

click to enlarge MICHAEL TATE REED
  • MICHAEL TATE REED
Circuit Judge Chris Piazza decided this morning that Michael Tate Reed, charged with demolishing the Ten Commandments Monument on the Capitol grounds shortly after it was installed, was unfit to stand trial and ordered him committed to the State Hospital to see if he could ever be fit for trial. John Lynch reports for the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

A psychiatric examination was ordred for Reed in September. He drove a car into the monument June 28 and has been in custody since.

Reed, 32, went through a similar process in Oklahoma after being charged with knocking down a Ten Commandments monument on the grounds of the Oklahoma capitol in 2014. He was not prosecuted but referred to mental health treatment.

Since his arrest in Arkansas, his family has written the court asking that he receive mental health treatment. He had been defended by a public defender, but a private attorney recently joined the case in his behalf. and told reporters today Reed was sick and needed treatment. The court records show Piazza passed the case until Dec. 13, 2018.

Reed was charged with first-degree criminal mischief, a felony, for destroying the monument. A new version has been made, but not yet installed. Several groups have announced intentions to sue after the monument is in place for state endorsement of religion.

Tags: , , , ,


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (10)

Showing 1-10 of 10

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-10 of 10

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Now, the main event

    I write Tuesday morning, before polls close on primary and judicial election contests.
    • May 24, 2018
  • Police identify remains as those of Ebby Steppach

    KARK/Fox 16 reports that Little Rock police have identified skeletal remains found Tuesday in a west Little Rock park as those of Ebby Steppach, the 17-year-old who's been missing since her car was found in that park abandoned in 2015.
    • May 23, 2018
  • UAMS presents balanced budget

    UAMS, pressed by financial problems for several years, told the University of Arkansas Board of Trustees today that it had a $1.5 billion operating budget that doesn't call for deficit spending.
    • May 23, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Donald Trump declares war on Hillary Clinton's marriage

    Donald Trump gave a remarkable interview to the New York Times yesterday in which he declared open season on the marriage of Bill and Hillary Clinton and Bill Clinton's past infidelity. Seems like a loser, but I've been wrong before.
    • Oct 1, 2016
  • Arkansas: Land of .......

    Welcome to Arkansas: Land of cowardly politicians, discriminatory laws, inhumane turkey drops and lots and lots of Trump voters.
    • Oct 8, 2016
  • Your daily dose of Jason Rapert

    Sen. Jason Rapert really, really didn't like it when a KATV reporter asked him about the hypocrisy of his political arguments.
    • Feb 4, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation