Farmer found guilty in shooting of another farmer in dicamba dispute | Arkansas Blog

Friday, December 15, 2017

Farmer found guilty in shooting of another farmer in dicamba dispute

Posted By on Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:18 AM

click to enlarge ALLAN CURTIS JONES
  • ALLAN CURTIS JONES
The D-G reports that Allan Curtis Jones was found guilty of second degree murder in a Mississippi County Circuit Court last night and sentenced to 24 years in prison. The shooting happened over a dispute between Jones and another farmer, Mike Wallace, over the controversial herbicide dicamba.  Wallace said that dicambra that Jones had sprayed on a field near his own had drifted and caused damage to his soybean crops. Jones' attorney had argued that he shot Wallace in self defense after Wallace charged at him looking like a "wild man." Jones will appeal the verdict.

Highly recommend David Koon's magnificent cover story on the shooting of Wallace and the dicamba controversy, "Farmer vs. Farmer."

Earlier this week, a legislative subcommittee declined to approve a proposed ban on the controversial herbicide dicamba, which many Arkansas farmers say has caused massive damage to their crops due to drift. The Plant Board, which had approved the  ban — lasting April 16 through October 31 — will now take it up again. Monsanto has filed a lawsuit challenging the proposed ban in Pulaski County Circuit Court and asked for an injunction. Previously, a 120-day moratorium was placed on use of the herbicide last summer.

click to enlarge THE WIDOW OF FARMER KILLED IN DICAMBA DISPUTE: Karen Wallace, widow of Mike Wallace of Craighead County, wants to see the pesticide dicamba banned. - BRIAN CHILSON
  • Brian Chilson
  • THE WIDOW OF FARMER KILLED IN DICAMBA DISPUTE: Karen Wallace, widow of Mike Wallace of Craighead County, wants to see the pesticide dicamba banned.


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

More by David Ramsey

Readers also liked…

  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • Your daily dose of Jason Rapert

    Sen. Jason Rapert really, really didn't like it when a KATV reporter asked him about the hypocrisy of his political arguments.
    • Feb 4, 2017

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation