Report: Tom Cotton backing away from limit on Chinese telcom UPDATE | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Report: Tom Cotton backing away from limit on Chinese telcom UPDATE

Posted By on Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 7:29 AM

Is Sen. Tom Cotton backing off his push (illustrated above) to prevent the U.S. from doing business with the Chinese telcom ZTE? Donald Trump has been pushing for an arrangement with ZTE.

The Capitol Forum reports maybe so.

Arkansas Republican Senator Tom Cotton appears to be backing away from his insistence that his amendment to impose a seven-year ban on ZTE buying U.S.-made components be included in must-pass defense legislation, a source close to negotiations told The Capitol Forum today.

Cotton sponsored an amendment imposing the purchasing ban on the Chinese telecom firm in the Senate’s version of the National Defense Authorization Act, but no similar provision exists in the House’s bill. The ZTE amendment faces opposition from the White House and sets up a major hurdle for Republicans as House and Senate members begin the defense bill’s conference negotiations this week.

Cotton would not comment on his position, saying the amendment is under active negotiations.

... Even Senate Republicans who previously threw their support behind Cotton’s amendment are softening their position in order to pass the defense bill.
The Party of Trump.

UPDATE: A reader provides an Arkansas angle on ZTE, as reported July 4 in the Texarkana Gazette:

A jury in Texarkana last week awarded $43.3 million in damages following a two-week trial in federal court concerning patents for smartphone and tablet technology.

Maxell Ltd. could receive an even greater judgment from ZTE USA Inc. because the jury found that ZTE’s infringement on Maxell’s patents was willful. The final damages determination will be made by U.S. District Judge Robert Schroeder III, who presides over the case in the Texarkana Division of the Eastern District of Texas.

Tags: ,


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (7)

Showing 1-7 of 7

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-7 of 7

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • Your daily dose of Jason Rapert

    Sen. Jason Rapert really, really didn't like it when a KATV reporter asked him about the hypocrisy of his political arguments.
    • Feb 4, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation