Change in today's I-630 hearing; plaintiffs hope for delay in bridge demolition: UPDATE: Bridge to come down | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Change in today's I-630 hearing; plaintiffs hope for delay in bridge demolition: UPDATE: Bridge to come down

Posted By on Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM

click to enlarge PREP WORK: It's underway on demolition of the Hughes Street overpass. I-630 project will replace two other overpasses along the 2.2 mile stretch if a suit to block it isn't successful.
  • PREP WORK: It's underway on demolition of the Hughes Street overpass. I-630 project will replace two other overpasses along the 2.2 mile stretch if a suit to block it isn't successful.

A federal case concerning the lawsuit filed yesterday to stop the Interstate 630 widening project has been transferred to federal Judge Jay Moody and the hearing scheduled today was moved to 2:45 p.m.

UPDATE: Judge Moody, after hearing from plaintiffs attorney Richard Mays and ARDOT lawyer Rita Looney at an informal meeting this afternoon, decided that the highway department could continue with plans to tear down the bridge Friday night. Moody said the removal of the bridge, on balance, would have minimal impact on Interstate 630 traffic and the issue of environmental impacts the case raises. Moody set a hearing on Mays' motion for a temporary injunction against the widening project at 9 a.m. Monday.

The judge was concerned about the cost of delaying the demolition; Looney said ARDOT had already invested $4 million in preparation for the $87 million project and that delay would cost $200,000 a day.

Looney, addressing the judge briefly at the meeting, also disagreed that a 2009 memorandum of agreement between ARDOT and the Federal Highway Administration allowing the work to go forward without a study of environmental impacts had expired, a point Mays made. She also questioned the timing of Mays' request for a TRO, saying the highway department had held hearings in 2015 on the project. Afterward, Mays said he found the agency's question "disingenuous," given how much time had passed since those hearings and the fact that the agency gave only three days notice that the work would begin. — LNP

It will not be a formal hearing, but an open court discussion of issues in advance of a hearing Monday, said Richard Mays, attorneys for plaintiffs in the suit that says the $87 million project didn't have a proper environmental review.

Mays said he hopes to get the judge to direct the Arkansas Department of Transportation not to begin demolition of the Hughes Street overpass, scheduled to begin Friday, until the hearing. A Highway Department spokesman said, despite some public concerns, that that work has NOT begun — only fencing around the overpass. Work on the project began Monday night.

Leslie Peacock will be in court this afternoon to report on developments.

Tags: ,


Favorite

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Here come the judge candidates

    It's already less than a year away from nonpartisan judicial elections, so candidates have begun to emerge and more will be coming, with a number of judgeships to be vacated by retirement. This week:
    • Mar 26, 2019
  • North Little Rock police shoot at man pointing gun

    Hilary Hunt of KARK reports that the North Little Rock police are investigating the shooting of a man who reportedly pointed a gun at officers.
    • Mar 26, 2019
  • Trump moves to strike down entire Affordable Care Act, in tune with Leslie Rutledge

    In an important legal shift, the Trump Administration is now asking the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals Court to strike down the entire Affordable Care Act. This squares the Justice Department with state officials who intervened in the Texas case, including Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge.
    • Mar 26, 2019
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Sabin's subterfuge in the race for mayor has roots in rigged city government

    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that an ethics complaint has been filed saying that the exploratory committee Rep. Warwick Sabin created to prepare for a run for Little Rock mayor was a subterfuge to avoid the city ordinance that doesn't allow campaign fundraising to begin until five months before the November 2018 election.Of course it is.
    • Aug 10, 2017
  • Use of solar on the rise in Arkansas

    With a pivotal ruling expected any day now from the Public Service Commission, Kyle Massey at Arkansas Business reports on the increase in Arkansans adding solar generation units on their homes and business.
    • Apr 13, 2018
  • Antwan Phillips wants to make a difference in reducing Little Rock violence

    KARK/Fox 16's push to do something about Little Rock violence includes a spotlight on people trying to make a difference — in this episode Antwan Phillips, a lawyer at Wright, Lindsey and Jennings.
    • Aug 30, 2017

Slideshows

Most Recent Comments

 

© 2019 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation