How To Address Your Concerns + PHOTOS of CAD | Shale Watch

Thursday, December 18, 2008

How To Address Your Concerns + PHOTOS of CAD

Posted By on Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Some of you have been asking about the best way to let somebody know that pollution is happening in your neck of the woods.  I don't think I have addressed those questions directly before, so I'll do my best. 

If you have a complaint regarding pollution you should contact the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ).  This state agency is charged with protecting the environment, especially waters of the state that could be harmed by waste from natural gas drilling operations.  You can go to this website to find out where your complaints need to be addressed as ADEQ has many divisions (hazardous waste, air pollution, etc.).  Also, the public affairs office can be reached at (501) 682 - 0915.    

ADEQ receives a lot of complaints from citizens and a lot of people send them photographs they've taken themselves of things like, say, frac water in a creek bed.  One problem with these complaints is that, unless there is some indication, ADEQ cannot be sure when these pictures were taken, or exactly where they were taken.  So if you come across something particularly egregious and take a photo, be sure to adjust your camera so the date appears in the corner.  If you can't figure that out, take a copy of the newspaper.  If the location isn't easily identifiable (say, by a roadsign, etc.) then take a GPS, if you've got one, and take a photo of the screen.  The point is, be as exact as you can.  Otherwise your complaints might end up in the trash can.   

Here are some photos of Central Arkansas Disposal, the site that ADEQ recently told to stop accepting drilling fluids. 

click to enlarge unknown.jpg

Here drilling fluids are pooled under a sprinkler irrigation system.  This is an unapproved application of waste.

click to enlarge unknown.jpg

An open-ended irrigation pipe.  You can see fluids pooled on the ground.

click to enlarge unknown.jpg

Drilling fluids have been drained from this holding pond (this is the edge of the pond).  The inspection form indicates that the 24 inch freeboard (the wall meant to hold the fluids in) was not being maintained. 


Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

More by Gerard Matthews


© 2019 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation