JImPoling | Arkansas news, politics, opinion, restaurants, music, movies and art

JImPoling 
Member since Sep 21, 2012


Favorite Places

  • None.
Find places »

Saved Events

  • Nada.
Find events »

Saved Stories

  • Nope.
Find stories »

Custom Lists

  • Zip.

Friends

  • No friends yet.
Become My Friend Find friends »

Stats

Recent Comments

Re: “Lyons: About those 47 percent

Dear Mr. Lyons:

This is in response to your commentary entitled "Members-only words say a lot" published in the Times West Virginian on Friday, September 21, 2012.

I agree that the numbers Mr. Romney used to describe the number of Americans who consider themselves victims and entitled to a government handout were grossly overstated. Although, I do believe there are a certain number of individuals that fit in that category. I do not believe that every American is trying hard to succeed.

I recently heard Bill O'Reilly say that when he was a teacher, there were three types of students. First, there were those that tried hard and succeeded. Secondly, there were those that tried hard and were either less successful or failed. Lastly, there were those that didn't try. It is my belief that the same generalization is relevant to the American population as a whole.

However, that does not justify the use of invalid statistics and numbers by a journalist making an attempt to sway the opinions of the public. In my mind, it calls into question the integrity and the opinion of the commentator.

For your information, the Social Security and Medicare withholding rates are supposed to be 6.2% and 1.45% respectively. The combined total is 7.65%, one half of the rate you quoted. The Social Security Administration is supposd to receive 15.3%. But the additional percentage is paid by the employers.

Of course, for about the last two or three years, because of the brilliance and dedication of our president and congress, the Social Security rate of withholding has been at 4.2% providing Americans earning a paycheck a "tax cut".

With social security on the brink of bankruptcy according to all accounts I've heard, I believe it was a stroke of genius for our leaders to rob the revenue for that program instead of reducing the personal income tax rate and cut the general revenues.

If one has a good argument, it is not necessary to missstate the facts supporting that argument. Maybe you were misinformed. Maybe you were over zealous. In either case, please try to be more accurate in the future.

Thank you for the opportunity to speak my mind.

Jim Poling

Fairmont, WV

4 likes, 5 dislikes
Posted by JImPoling on 09/21/2012 at 8:33 AM

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation