Favorite

Occupy losing permit 

Little Rock Police Chief Stuart Thomas personally delivered word to the Occupy Little Rock encampment at 4th and Ferry Streets Monday evening that a city permit for the occupation, previously open-ended, would not be extended past May 16.

The news came as something of a surprise to Occupy Little Rock, which has been meeting in recent days with Mayor Mark Stodola, City Manager Bruce Moore and City Attorney Tom Carpenter about moves to other sites or other ways to potentially end the demonstration, now more than six months old.

Greg Deckelman, who talks to media on behalf of Occupy Little Rock, said the chief delivered the notice about 6 p.m. and said "he hated to be the bearer of bad tidings." He delivered no other message, Deckelman said. Occupy LR has no idea if this signals an end to further negotiations.

"We're hopeful they'll continue to negotiate," Deckelman said. He wasn't ready to say what the group would do if that's not the case. "It would be decided at that point through consensus of the general assembly." He said there was plenty of time to negotiate a different place for the group to camp, though visibility remains a prime aim of the group. The group has been talking to the city about the possibility of both public and private spots to relocate to.

Deckelman said city officials had said they might be willing to ask the City Board to consider the group's call for a non-binding city resolution opposition to the Citizens United ruling on "corporate personhood," but not a guarantee of passage of such a resolution.

City Manager Bruce Moore said the city needed the parking lot to accommodate buses during "tourist season."

Favorite

From the ArkTimes store

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Most Shared

Latest in The Insider

  • All in the family

    Old habits die hard. We may have a new Republican majority in the legislature, but like the old Democratic majority, it still doesn't hurt to have a lawmaker spouse to land a part-time job during the legislative session.
    • Jan 30, 2013
  • 'Circuit breaker' legal

    When we first asked Gov. Mike Beebe about the "circuit breaker" idea out of Arizona (automatically opting out of Medicaid expansion if the feds reduce the matching rates in the future), he said it was fine but noted that states can already opt out at any time, an assurance he got in writing from the feds.
    • Jan 30, 2013
  • Church goes to school in Conway

    An interesting controversy is brewing in Conway Public Schools, periodically a scene of discord as more liberal constituents object to the heavy dose of religion that powerful local churches have tried to inject into the schools, particularly in sex education short on science and long on abstinence.
    • Jan 23, 2013
  • More »

Event Calendar

« »

November

S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30  

Most Viewed

  • Arkansas joint ventures

    With dispensary and cultivation applications pending, hundreds of Arkansas entrepreneurs are sitting on go for a medical cannabis gold rush. How will it pan out?
  • Heart of the city

    The Observer pulled a gun on a guy in my driveway Saturday night. It was the first time in 43 years that I've ever pointed a firearm at another human being on purpose.
  • Benton backs med bud sales

    Also, the Arkansas National Guard just says no and two medical marijuana events on the horizon.

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: A dream of light rail for Northwest Arkansas

    • As an older couple who gave up their car so we could have less stress…

    • on November 18, 2017
  • Re: Heart of the city

    • Oddly enough, given that the General Assembly is bought and paid for by the NRA,…

    • on November 17, 2017
  • Re: Arkansas joint ventures

    • Lots of great information. I look forward to more great articles from this source.

    • on November 17, 2017
 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation